Welcome to the Family Life Center at First Baptist Powell
Hours of Operation (Winter 2014 Hours)
Monday | 6am-7pm
Tuesday | 6am-7pm
Wednesday | 6am-5pm
Thursday | 6am-7pm
Friday | 6am-5pm
Saturday | Closed
Sunday | Closed
- all above listed hours of operation are subject to change without notice
- The Family Life Center is also subject to close without notice
- The Family Life Center will follow the FBA snow schedule
- The Family Life Center will follow the church office holiday schedule
The purpose of the Family Life Center is to provide a means to share the gospel of Jesus Christ through recreation. The facilities can be used by the community and church members at no charge. There are several programs including adult sport leagues, aerobic classes, youth sports (STRIVE), and Bible study classes which will be offered throughout the year, so be sure to reference the FLC calendar for all our activities and events.
The facilities offer a fitness room with cardiovascular and strength training equipment (including free weights), locker rooms, a gymnasium, and a walking track to provide multiple venues to create a great workout. We encourage everyone to invite their unchurched co-workers, friends, and family to join us at the Family Life Center at FBC Powell. If you have any questions concerning the FLC or any of the other recreation programs being offered please contact Chad Scarbro. Contact information is below.
“Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Matthew 28:19-20 (NKJV)
Family Life Center Staff
Family Ministry Director
Church Office: 865-947-9074 ext. 500
Strive Sports Director
865-947-9074 ext. 501
FLC Use Disclaimers Must Be Signed Before Use
- available at main entrance of FLC or can be printed off ahead of time by clicking on the appropriate FLC Use Disclaimer below
FLC 17 & Under Use Disclaimer
FLC Adult Use Disclaimer
Everyone is Required to watch FLC Fitness Room Tutorial prior to using the FLC Fitness Room
“It is good neither to eat meat nor drink wine nor do anything by which your brother stumbles or is offended or is made weak.” Romans 14:21 (NKJV)
It is the purpose of the FLC at FBC Powell to provide a comfortable environment for people of all ages to exercise; therefore it is imperative all parties dress in a modest and appropriate manner, in a way which glorifies God.
- must be worn at all times
- must cover mid-section
- all shirts must have sleeves
- no shirts advertising alcohol, tobacco, or anything considered inappropriate by FLC staff
- shorts must be at a minimum mid-thigh length
- no side slit shorts
- no spandex, bike shorts, or tights unless covered by appropriate shorts
- Must wear sneakers/tennis shoes
- No open toed shoes or boots
- no black soles for gym
“in like manner also, that the women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and moderation, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly clothing” 1 Timothy 2:9 (NKJV)
The second floor of the FLC has a walking/running track above the gym. 17 laps around the track equal 1 mile. The track can be used anytime the FLC is open. Children below the age of 12 must be accompanied by an adult at all times on the walking track.
The gymnasium is a standard TSSAA high school basketball court. There are 2 fixed goals at each end of the court and 2 portable side goals. Balls and other sports equipment can be checked out at the reception desk. Those under age 12 must be accompanied by an adult.
The gymnasium is used for many activities. Check the calendar on the website for all events in the gymnasium.
The café is located at the southern end of the gymnasium. This area provides vending machines, Wi-Fi access, and a place to have a snack with several large tables. It is a great place to relax after a workout.
The fitness area provides access to cardiovascular equipment including treadmills, elliptical machines, and exercise bikes. There is also strength training machines from Legend Fitness and free weights available. Anyone who desires to have access to the fitness room must complete the 15-minute video orientation prior to using this portion of the facility. Children must be 16 years old to use the fitness area and must also complete the orientation.
The second floor houses two conference rooms. The conference rooms are equipped with all the media and technology necessary to provide presentations. This area is primarily set aside to be used by our senior adults, but it can be reserved for Bible studies or group meetings as well. To schedule use of the conference rooms please call the FLC reception desk.
Our locker rooms are complete with showers and lockers for personal belongings. Locks are available at the receptionist desk and must be returned prior to leaving the facilities.
- The FLC is open to all church members at FBC Powell/Fountain City, and the facility is also open to the community at no charge.
- The gym, walking track and cafe are closed to non-members Monday thru Friday 10:00 am to 3:00 pm, but the fitness room will remain open.
- All participants must check-in at the main front entrance area to the facility.
- All participants must complete a waiver to use the facility.
- All participants must show a valid and current identification with a picture in order to complete the waiver.
- All participants under the age of 18 must have their parent/guardian sign the waiver as well.
- All participants under the age of 12 must be accompanied by an adult.
- All participants under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult to use the fitness room.
Entering and Exiting Facility
- Everyone must sign-in at the main front entrance. Senior adult church members may be allowed entrance at upstairs entrance. All other areas of entrance or exit can only be used during an emergency; there are several other emergency exits.
Interpretation of Policies, Procedures, and Rules
- The FLC ministry staff at FBC of Powell/Fountain City seeks to glorify God in all its endeavors; therefore, any behavior or conduct deemed as inappropriate or detrimental to a Christian environment, such as improper speech, dress, or demeanor will not be tolerated. Such behavior will be immediate grounds for removal from the facility.
- Any incident or specific situation not covered in the policies of the FLC will be managed at the discretion of the Recreation Ministry Staff at the particular juncture of the incident.
- The Recreation Ministry Staff will be responsible for enforcing and interpreting all policies, procedures and rules of the FLC.
- The Policies, Procedures, and Rules of the FLC are continually and periodically examined and reviewed by the Recreation Ministry Staff.
- The Recreation Ministry Staff reserves the right to remove any individual or group of individuals at any time for any reason.
- Violation of any policy, procedure or rule of the FLC will result in facility access being removed.
- If an individual is removed from the facility by the Recreation Ministry Staff then future admittance to the facility will have to be granted by the Recreation Ministry Staff after the individual or individuals meet with the Family Ministry Pastor.
First Aid/Medical Equipment
- All first aid and medical equipment will be available at the front desk.
- Any first aid or medical items must be distributed by the Recreation Ministry Staff.
- Any accident or injury must be reported immediately to the Recreation Ministry Staff.
- All Recreation Ministry Staff members are AED and CPR certified.
- All equipment for the gymnasium such as the basketballs and volleyballs must be checked out at the front desk.
- All other balls are prohibited in the gymnasium, and basketballs and volleyballs must be used for their intended purposes.
- The individuals and groups which check out equipment are financially responsible for the equipment if it is damaged, destroyed, lost, or stolen.
- All equipment must be returned to the front desk by the responsible individual prior to the individual leaving the facility the same day which it was checked out.
- All equipment of the fitness area and conference rooms must not be removed from the respective areas.
- Any personal equipment used at the FLC must be approved by the Recreation Ministry Staff prior to the equipment being used on site.
- Any activity besides basketball in the gymnasium must be approved by the Recreation Ministry Staff prior to the activity taking place.
- No sneakers or tennis shoes with black soles will be permitted in the gymnasium.
- Proper shoes must be worn at all times in the gymnasium, no bare feet.
- No food and only closed lid drinks, such as water bottles, allowed in the gymnasium.
- All equipment used must be administered by the Recreation Ministry Staff.
- Basketball goals may not be lowered or raised by anyone at anytime except by Recreation Ministry Staff.
- Racing is prohibited.
- No equipment is allowed on the walking track, such as balls, free weights or jump ropes.
- Nothing can be thrown from or on the walking track, such as balls.
- Anyone under the age of 12 must be accompanied by an adult.
- All participants must receive orientation for the fitness area prior to being admitted to the area.
- Fitness Room Tutorial
- All children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by a parent while in the fitness area.
- All equipment for the fitness area must remain in the fitness area at all times.
- No food or drink in the fitness area is allowed, except closed lid water bottles.
- Locks for lockers can be received via the front desk. All locks must be removed prior to the individual leaving the facility. No locks may be left on lockers overnight.
- FBC of Powell/Fountain City is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Any items of particular value should not be left in the locker room.
- Food and drink are permitted in the vending area.
- Gum is not permitted in this area.
- Any persons using the vending area are responsible for cleanup of food, trash, and anything else used.
- Any food or drink not purchased from the vending area must be approved by the Recreation Ministry Staff prior to entering the vending area.
- Drinks and food can only be consumed in the vending area adjacent to the gymnasium. Drinks and food should not be anywhere else in the facility.
- The following items are not allowed in the facility or in the parking areas, tobacco, alcohol, pets, controlled substances, or anything else which the FLC ministry staff deems inappropriate in a Christian environment.
- No gum is allowed anywhere in the FLC.
- Activities of FBC of Powell/Fountain City and of First Baptist Academy will have priority for scheduling use of the FLC.
- Specific areas of the FLC can be scheduled for use by church groups and the community through the Recreation Ministry Staff.
- Cleanup of the facility is the responsibility of the person or persons which reserved the specific area of the FLC. All facility equipment and property should be returned to its original space and left as they were found.
- Liability releases must be signed by all participants who will be using the facility when it is reserved.
“Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord.”Hebrews 12:14
Who can play? any child in the church or community that meets the age requirements
Cost: total cost is $35 per child, $100 maximum per family (uniform included in cost)
What is Strive Sports? Strive Sports is the youth sports ministry provided by First Baptist Church of Powell/Fountain City created to provide a Christ-centered approach to youth sports. Our purpose is to bring glory to God by having competitive sports which focus on children striving to be more like Christ and simultaneously striving to improve their athletic skills.
Why have Strive? To provide Christ-centered, competitive youth leagues for the church and the community which teaches skill development, fundamentals of the sport, integrity, sportsmanship, teamwork, and Biblical values
Where: First Baptist Powell Church Campus
Registration: You can register online just below or at the church office
- Soccer: Registration Closed
- Basketball: Registation Will begin in October
Will the score be kept during games?: The league will keep score during games.
Click here for more information.